Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Layer Cake Dress


I've been dreaming of Kaylee's Layer Cake dress for years. The first time I saw the episode, Shindig, I wanted to make the costume. But I'm not very good at sewing.
I went onto a costuming livejournal group many years ago asking how I could make this dress without being able to read patterns or use a sewing machine. I was told that there was no way I could make this costume because it was too hard. That just made me more determined to make it.

Getting married and having a baby put my Layer Cake dreams on hold though. But when Charlotte got the bid for the 2010 Browncoat Ball, I knew I had to have this dress done in time for the event.

My plan was to buy a dress in the right shape and put the correct fabric over it. It worked out pretty well, but it was a very lengthy process. Because it was taking me such a long time, There was some bottom layers missing for both Dragon*Con last year and the Browncoat Ball.

The dress went back on the back burner again. I had wanted to get it ready for Fanaticon and ConCarolinas, but that didn't happen. So Dragon*Con became the goal again. And I'm happy to say that the costume is now complete!
I'll be wearing it Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Con. Say hi if you see me :)

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment