Tuesday, February 21, 2012

My Love of The Haunted Mansion

Outside the Haunted Mansion in 1986

I was always told that I was a pretty morbid child. My parents thought this was because I lost both my paternal grandparents in less than a year when I was very small. I vaguely remember them but not well.

When I was nine years, my family went to Walt Disney World for the first time. I loved it all but my favorite ride was The Haunted Mansion. It scared me a little but mostly I found it fascinating.

The Haunted Mansion in 2007
My parents bought me a Haunted Mansion record / storybook and I listened to that thing so much after we got home from the World. My love for the Haunted Mansion waned a little as I grew up, but it came back with a vengeance when Todd and I decided to make Disney World our honeymoon destination.

The first full day we were at Disney we went to the Magic Kingdom because Todd's favorite ride, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, was going down for rehab.

That day, I got to ride my beloved Haunted Mansion again. It had just been rehabbed and it was as wonderful as I remember from when I was younger. When we got home from our honeymoon, I started pin collecting.

Lots of people collect Disney pins, but my collection was just of Haunted Pins. eBay has lots of them for sale for fairly cheap. My collection is small since I stopped after I was laid off. But hopefully I can start up again soon.

One of the best garage sales finds by my husband was a Haunted Mansion house. It's awesome and I've never found where it came from. It's awesome though with glow in the dark hitchhiking ghosts. I hope that someday I can have a whole Haunted Mansion collectibles collection.

For 25 years, I've loved the Haunted Mansion and I know that it will be something I always love. I look forward to riding it again at my next trip to Disney World.

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment