Thursday, February 16, 2012

Some Star Wars Prequel Thoughts

Ever since I watched Star Wars: The Phantom Menace in 3D last week, I've been wanting to watch the other prequels as well as the originals. I just got around to watching Attack of the Clones tonight and I had some thoughts I thought I would share.

Even though Hayden Christensen is very whiny in the role of Anakin Skywalker, I find him a lot easier to watch than Jake Lloyd. The bad acting of Jake Lloyd is one of the big reasons that The Phantom Menace is my least favorite of all the Star Wars movies.

During this re-watch, I keep comparing Padme to Bella from Twilight. Admittedly, Padme is much more kickass than Bella, but they have misfortune of falling for whiny guys who are all about the domestic violence. While Anakin doesn't actually kill Padme, he tries pretty hard and thinks he does. And of course, Bella gets killed though she gets to come back as a vampire. And there is that whole "I can't live without my love" BS they both have going on.

It always bugged me that Padme was given the shitty ending of "I'm too sad to live." Her character is so strong-willed that it just seems like a huge cop out to just have her die even though nothing physically is wrong with her. I know that it wouldn't have jived with the originals to have her live, but I just can't see her dying especially after giving birth to two healthy babies. As well as knowing enough to be able to name them.

All that aside, I do love Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi. The parts of Attack of the Clones are always fun to watch. Now if he would have been the one who was being all stalker-y to Padme and then a murderer to the Sand People, I could have given him a pass because he wouldn't have been whiny while doing it. And he's pretty hot besides. He is a big reason why I still even watch the prequels every once in a while.

That said, the prequels can't hold a candle to the originals. While I will go see the other prequels in the theater when they are released in 3D, I am really looking forward to seeing the originals on the big screen again. And by that time, Emily will be old enough to go see them with us!

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

1 comment:

  1. It always bugged me that they killed off Padme that way, too. After all, Leia mentions in RotJ that she remembers her real mother - that she had died when she was very young. I always took that to mean that she was three, maybe four years old at the most. Old enough to remember images and feelings. Now I know that Luke & Leia are both strong in the Force. But if Leia can remember images and feelings from when she was a newborn, Luke should have those same memories.

    ReplyDelete