Wednesday, February 29, 2012

RIP Davy Jones

A piece of my childhood passed away today. Davy Jones died today from a heart attack and was only 66 years old.

When I was younger, The Monkees TV show started playing in syndication. My sister, Kelly, and my cousin, Sarah, and I would watch the shows as often as we could.

We all had our favorites. Davy Jones was my sister's favorite while I preferred Micky Dolenz. I think my cousin liked Michael Nesmith. My cousin would usually spend a month of her summer break at our house and it was during one of these times one of the amusing stories from my childhood happened.

Kelly and Sarah decided to go to the TV and kiss their favorite Monkee. I opted not to. Well, they managed to make the TV fall and it broke. They got grounded from watching TV for a week or two because of that.

The Monkees did a big tour after the show took off again and my parents got us tickets. It was one of the first concerts I ever went to and it was awesome to see the Monkees (minus Michael Nesmith) live. Ironically Weird Al was the opening act, but I had no idea who he was at the time. It wasn't until later that I started listening to his music.

So RIP Davy Jones - it's a very sad day for all Monkees fans out there.

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment