Thursday, October 6, 2011

Writing Challenge - Existence Is But An Illusion

The mirror was almost glaring at me and I tried to keep my eyes away from it. The mirror was cursed and it had shown me some horrifying things. But each time that I tried to rid myself of it, it would come back to rest in the corner of my bedroom.

There was a knock on my front door and I jumped out of fright. I grabbed my bathrobe and went to my door, peering through the peephole. There was an older man that I did not recognize standing outside my apartment. His deep green eyes turned upward and seemed to be looking at me. A shiver ran up my spine and opened the door a crack, the chain lock still in place.

"If you are selling something, I am not interested," I said in a small voice and went to close the door again.

The man stuck his hand into the gap to prevent me from closing the door. "I'm here about the mirror," he said, his voice very deep.

My eyes widened and I unlocked the door, allowing him into my apartment. I knew it wasn't the safest thing in the world, but if he could get rid of that damn mirror I would do just about anything.

He entered my apartment, limping as he walked. He went straight to my bedroom with me trailing behind him like an unwanted spirit. He headed to the mirror, putting a gentle hand on it. "Here you are," he murmured to it, almost as it was an old friend or even a lover.

"Can you get rid of it?" I cried out, cringing at the sight of it.

The man had a sad smile on his lips as he turned back to look at me. "I cannot," he said and my shoulder's drooped in defeat as tears began to spill out of my tired eyes. "But," he continued, as he moved to my side, "I can show you how to use it. Our existence here is just an illusion, but this mirror shows the truth. It chooses people who are strong of heart to help it with its quest to restore this world to the way it should be."

I just looked at him for a moment and then cast my eyes downward. "I'm not strong or special."

He gently lifted my chin, smiling at me. "The mirror is never wrong. We need to get started, my dear, you have much to learn."


********

For the Indie Ink Writing Challenge this week, Debra Elliott challenged me with "Existence is but an illusion" and I challenged Liz Culver with "Grim grinning ghosts".

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

4 comments:

  1. This was a great response to the prompt. I like the way the man appears and takes the mirror from being something to fear to something with such potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, creepy and fascinating. I love that the mirror chose her. I'm sure she's stronger than she realizes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one - it might turn out to become a longer story later on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this--it has the potential to be so much more, yet in and of itself is quite fantastic and needs nothing more! Great job!

    ReplyDelete