Sunday, October 23, 2011

Book Review - "Lost At The Con" by Bryan Young

I had heard that Lost at the Con by Bryan Young was very good. It is set at Dragon*Con (under the name of Griffin*Con) so that made me even that much more eager to read it.

But it wasn't very good. The narrator / main character, a reporter named Cobb, is a drunk asshole. His articles reminded me of a recent Men's Fitness article that made fun of chubby cosplayers who were at NYCC this year. Both made me feel angry because it was an attack by bullies. And Cobb's articles attacked different parts of the con, which just gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

Even though Cobb redeemed himself a bit near the end, it still wasn't a very good book. It was a little fun to read about places around Dragon*Con that I know so well. Beyond that, I couldn't recommend it to anyone, especially people who love attending Dragon*Con every year.

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

2 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't like it. It's not for everybody, I guess. I am glad the vast majority of geeks who read it get it, though. I'm sorry you didn't.

    And to put me in a league with the guys in that Men's Fitness article seems a little harsh, especially since my book comes from a place of love.

    If nothing else, I hope you like the next one better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading this now and so far the main character to be a jerk.

    ReplyDelete