Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Writing Challenge - Shelter From The Storm

Christmas Eve has never been a great day for me because bad things always seem to happen for some reason. This year was no different for me or at least that was how it seemed.

My job had been working me to death as the holiday approached so I had to do last minute shopping on Christmas Eve. The snow had started falling the night before so started my shopping early because I hadn't wanted to get stuck in the storm.

What I hadn't counted on was the snow starting to come down fast and furious at 9 am in the morning. The snow was wet and thick as it hit my windshield and I found that I was having a hard time seeing where I was going. I had been on the highway and I pulled to the side of the road to wait to see if the storm would let up.

As I pulled my grey VW Bug to a stop, the car shuddered. The lights blinked and the car shuddered again, and then turned off. I swore under my breath but I got out of the car and lifted the hood. I didn't know a lot about cars, but when I saw the smoke rolling off of my engine, I knew I was in trouble.

After grabbing my purse and wrapping a ratty old scarf around my neck, I started to walk. The highway had been lacking in traffic when I was driving but it no more than a couple of cars passed me by. And none of them stopped. I kept trying to us my cell phone to call for help, but I couldn't get a signal.

The white snow swirled around me and I knew I would have to find shelter from the storm. My feet, only clad in sneakers, were starting to be so cold that I couldn't feel them anymore. And I was finding it harder and harder to put one foot in front of another.

Out of the blinding whiteness, a bright, red truck came roaring up the highway. I waved my arms because I knew I wouldn't be able to walk much longer. The driver slowed down and pulled to the side of the road just in front of me.

I found new strength as I hurried towards my savior. A tall man who was very round had gotten out. He had a long white beard and was dressed in flannel. He gave me a gentle smile as he helped me into his truck. He didn't speak much and I found that I spent most of the journey dozing in and out.

The truck lurched to a stop and my eyes flew open. I looked out of the window and I saw that we were in the driveway of my house. I looked at the man, because I didn't remember telling him my address. He got out and went to my door, opening it for me.

"I don't know how to thank you," I said, as he helped me out of the truck. "No thanks is necessary," he replied, his voice deep with a hint of a laugh to it. "Just stay out of the snow, at least for the next couple of days."

He walked me to my door and gave me a smile as he left to go back to his truck. I watched him drive away, wondering about the man who had surely saved my life.

*******************************************

For the IndieInk Writing Challenge this week, Michael challenged me with "Shelter From The Storm" and I challenged Amanda with "Silent Night, Undead Night".

3 comments: