Friday, December 2, 2011

The Lie That Is Unemployment Stats

It always makes me a bit angry when I see a new article about unemployment percentages going down. These statistics are pretty much a lie because they only count the people who are currently drawing unemployment benefits.

Like so many people, I lost my job when the economy tanked a few years ago. I looked for a job and couldn't find one. This is when my husband and I decided that I should go back to school.

Thankfully my husband makes a decent amount so we were able to manage and let me go to school. I'm very close to graduating but I'm not sure if it was a good move or if I'll be able to find a job.

Nonetheless, I'll be back looking for a job next month. Hopefully, it won't take too long or me to find something. I wouldn't even mind working a menial job in a factory as long as it paid decent. We'll just have to see what happens.

The point is though, that the unemployment rate is much higher than reported. I wish there was a way to be able to report more accurate numbers. I know I would be willing to do the check in with the unemployment agency even if I wasn't drawing money just so the world could see how messed up things are. But hopefully I will be in the ranks of the employed again sooner than later.

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment