Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Believing in Santa

When I was growing up in the late 1970's / early 1980's, believing in Santa was the thing to do. I didn't know anyone who didn't believe under a certain age. I believed and I don't remember being crushed when my parents told me otherwise. I was just excited to help keep the magic alive for my younger sister.

When my sister was told the truth, she just ignored the fact that my parents told her and continued believing for another year. It didn't damage either of us and both of us are big fans of the Christmas season.

I don't think that Todd or I had a discussion about if we would encourage a believe in Santa in Emily. It's just something we knew we would do. She didn't really get the whole Santa thing the first couple of years, but now she believes and it's really awesome to watch.

But apparently we are in the minority because it seems like many people are very against their kids believing in Santa because it's a LIE. Now, I'm a bit of a romantic and so is my husband so we are fans of Santa. And part of me still believes in Santa, so I don't really consider is a lie.

To see Emily just star struck to meet Santa and knowing how excited she is going to be on Christmas morning makes it worth it for us. I know not everyone celebrates Christmas so I understand that not everyone is going to do the whole Santa thing. But I've heard of a couple of stories of strangers telling people's children that Santa isn't real. What kind of person does that??

It's something that every parent has to decide if they want to do or not. I feel a little sad that there is such hostility out there towards Santa. Maybe it was always there but with social media and the internet is more easily seen. For us, Santa will be there for Emily as long as she believes.

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment