Thursday, December 29, 2011

Writing Challenge - Delicate

The world just seemed gray to me as I made my way listlessly through my day. I worked a soul sucking job that had people screaming me at me all day because they weren't getting their woven blankets with the picture of their dog on it fast enough.

I had been walking to work because my car had broken down, so it seemed like I was walking through a really old black and white movie as I was surrounded by a sea of other unhappy people dressed in dark coats as the snow drifted softly down from the sky.

I stopped as I took this scene in. I felt so delicate, like I was going to break if anymore stress was piled on me. I just stood there as the snow gently dampened my dark hair. I thought about what I wanted out of my life and this surely wasn't it. I pulled out my cell phone and called my job, quitting on the spot.

As I walked away, I knew that I couldn't be delicate anymore. This was my life and I was going in control from now on.

************************

For the IndieInk Writing Challenge this week, R.L.W. challenged me with "Listen to "Delicate" by Damien Rice and let it inspire your story: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRPwFAoQwxc" and I challenged MRMacrum with "Rediscovering old loves".

3 comments:

  1. It's an interesting choice for a prompt, and I like the way you used it to inspire you even if you didn't care for the song. I would have liked to know more about her stresses. I think there's a lot of potential here that you could easily fluff out if you ever decided to go back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to listen to the song in the prompt, but I like the idea of her deciding to not be 'delicate' any more, taking charge of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had that job. Thankfully I decided to not be delicate and move forward :)

    ReplyDelete