Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Thoughts on Depression

One of my favorite blogs is The Bloggess. Usually her blogs are so funny, but yesterday she got serious.

Apparently she has been suffering from depression and she had the courage to blog about it. Depression is one of those diseases that people usually suffer from alone. Near the end of her blog post, she said this:

"I hope to one day I see a sea of people all wearing silver ribbons as a sign that they understand the secret battle and that they celebrate the victories made each day as we individually pull ourselves up out of our foxholes to see our scars heal, and to remember what the sun looks like."

I'm not sure if I blogged about it, but I suffered from bad postpartum depression (PPD) after Emily was born. It went undiagnosed for about six months since I didn't realize how depressed I was until I wasn't excited at all to go to ConCarolinas. I love cons so I knew that something was wrong. I quickly got into the doctor and I was put on Zoloft. It was like a switch going off and I got to be me again.

I'm no longer suffering from PPD, but I remember what it was like. It was awful, and I felt really alone. I later found other moms who were suffering like I was. But it would be nice that it was something that people didn't feel like they have hide. I hope that in the future, depression can be talked about more freely and people won't be afraid to hide.

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment