Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Writing Challenge - No Longer Exist

It had been a long night for me as I had been drinking and dancing my cares away at the local bar. I was a student at a local college and I had gotten the bad  news that my loans were being cut off for the next semester.

I was only half awake when I crawled out of bed and went to check my email. I was mildly annoyed when I was told that my password didn't work and I went through the steps to recover my password. I was getting more awake and more annoyed as I was told that my email address didn't exist.

My heart started to thump as I tried to log into Facebook, Twitter and even my bank account to find that they all didn't exist anymore. I went to my cell phone to see if I could log on from there to find that it was completely blank and I could no longer make calls from it.

I went to Google and did a search for my name and even my social security number. Nothing came up at all so I convinced myself that I must still be sleeping. After pinching my pale cheeks several times, I was completely awake and completely frightened.

After I took a quick shower, I went out to the corner 7-11 to try the payphone. I dialed my mom's number after feeding several dollars worth quarters into the machine. After a few rings, my mom picked up. "Hello?"

"Mom, It's me, Sandy," I said, feeling relieved to hear a familiar voice. But my relief quickly slide away as my mom said, "I don't know anyone named Sandy. You have the wrong number."

"I'm your daughter," I said, the fear making me feel like I was going to throw up, "You've had this same number since I was a baby."

My mom's voice got very gruff and angry. "I don't have a daughter," she said then I heard the dial tone that told me that she had hung up on me.

I went out to the curb in front of the store and just buried my hands in my face. My hot tears slipped through fingers as I just sat there sobbing. I looked up sharply when I felt the pressure of a hand on my shoulder.

I turned my tear stained face up to see a tall man with a wry smile on his face. He offered me a hand and helped me to my feet. "Things aren't as bleak as they seem," he said as he brush a lock of black hair from his blue eyes, "You have been chosen for a higher purpose."

As I looked at him, I weighed my options. From everything I had seen and heard today, I was no longer a person who existed. I looked up at him and said, "Tell about this higher purpose."

He grinned and took my hand. "A wonder awaits you, Sandra. I can't wait to show you."

********************************

For the IndieInk Writing Challenge this week, Kelly Garriott Waite challenged me with "Each of your passwords no longer works. All of your cell phone contacts have been mysteriously erased. Your social security number, your credit card numbers, your health card number, your bank account, your address...all invalid or unrecognized. In the world of bits and bytes, you no longer exist. What do you do now?" and I challenged Maya Bahl with "Food to die for".

2 comments: