Wednesday, May 25, 2011

6 Months

Yesterday, it was 6 months since the start of my ordeal over Christmas. I haven't really talked much about it here, but it's on my mind quite a lot.

On Christmas Eve and Christmas Day 2010, I don't remember anything. Todd says I acted really strange and paranoid the entire time. The day after Christmas I do remember, but it was really odd and foggy. I was seeing things out of the right side of my vision that weren't there, and I was far too paranoid to sleep. I ended up watching the entire season (to that point) of 'No Ordinary Family'.

Well, after that we got a friend (my best friend, I think) to watch Emily, then Todd drove me to the ER at Mission Hospital. That drive was really surreal because even though I had made it hundreds of times (since I go to school very near Mission) everything looked strange.

We spent all day in the ER having various tests run on me. Finally at like 10 pm, I was admitted. The next few days I did a lot of staring at the TV and sleeping. After 5 days in the hospital, they finally let me out.

Thankfully I had great friends who helped take care of Emmy so Todd could come be with me in the hospital. Once I left, they didn't really know what had happened. Stroke and seizure were some of the things that were mentioned.

I had thought I was doing better once I left, but when I got home I felt really lost. Nothing in my house looked familiar. I didn't know where anything was and it took several weeks for things to start looking normal again. And I was still seeing things that were not there out of my right side.

I tried to just resume normal life. Thank God for snow storms that happened at the first of the year and pushed back the start of school. Even when school started, I didn't feel ready to be a normal person again.

I got to see a neurologist and a neurosurgeon, and have more MRI's. I, apparently, have a mass in my brain, but it has gone down. Eventually the doctors said they thought it was just a virus, but that doesn't really reassure me that it's not going to happen again.

But I try not to worry about it. I was very worried about my grades right before I got sick so my husband thinks the worry had something to do with whatever happened.

So that's my story and now it's been 6 months. In another six months, I want to have my first novel ready for publishing. This deadline is extremely important to me, partly because of what happened last Christmas.


  1. I can't imagine how scary this must have been for you and your loved ones. I'm glad you're doing better and that it seem to have healed itself.

    Here's hoping for good health for you and yours, and a fruitful year of writing. :)

  2. I wondered what had happened. That sounds very scary, especially not to have any real answer. I didn't know you wrote as well! What do you write? Have you ever done nanowrimo?

  3. Mandy, a customer of mine at MWW is an author and we've talked from time to time about her books (children's). Today she called & said she was going to mail me one free of charge because I've been so supportive of her during the last few months (which was really nice to hear). Anyway, one of her challenges was moving to self publishing which she is now doing & has 7 other authors she's publishing. I mentioned you & she said she'd love to see what you've got (I mentioned later in the year) and to consider her & she'll consider you too (she's looking to branch out from children's). Anyway, she's going to put in a business card for you. To be honest, I don't know much about her but her story hasn't changed in the 2 yrs she's been my customer. :o)

  4. Mama G - I have done NaNoWriMo many times, though I think I only 'won' one year. I'll probably do it again this year for the 2nd novel in my trilogy. I write fantasy / sci-fi stuff.

    Nancy - Thank you so much! I really appreciate that :)