Thursday, April 7, 2011

Getting A Bit Serious For A Moment

I will finish up my WrestleMania recaps in the next day or so, but I wanted to rant a little.

I'm not one to usually talk about politics. I have an opinion, and it tends to be very middle of the road. But I really do not care for follow politics on a normal basis.

I do think our current system is very broken. And I think part of this is how the government calculates unemployment rates. Now I've been unemployed since December 2008 when I was laid off the day before I was suppose to go back to work after maternity leave.

I got unemployment and I exhausted it. Which I really don't mind. But what I do mind is that since I'm no longer collecting unemployment, I'm not counted as being unemployed anymore, even though I am unemployed.

This really skews the numbers and has led to the unemployment rate being low enough that extended benefits are ending. Which I think is bullshit since the economy / job market really isn't better.

When I was first unemployed, I applied for hundreds of jobs. Out of all those jobs, I got 1 interview. 1, that's it! This is the big reason I decided to go back to school.

I also got a lot of shit from now former online friends about how I used my unemployment and the fact that I couldn't get a job. For some reason, some people (especially ones it seems that have jobs) think getting a job is so easy, which it's not.

Plus there are other factors for me since I have a child. So I can't just go to some fast food place to work because daycare would cost more than I would make.

Though I don't mind that my unemployment ran out. I wish it hadn't, but I got all my full extensions, and we aren't doing too badly. I'm just angry for all those people (including my best friend) who thought they were good for a while only to have the rug pulled out from under them.

No comments:

Post a Comment