Monday, April 2, 2012

Wicked As They Come Book Launch Party!

Me Along With The Talented Delilah Dawson 
When I was younger, I would often drive two hours or more to hang out with friends. This was especially the case right after I graduated from college since all my friends were at least two hours away. I would often just hop in the car and go.

Now it's a little harder to do that, thanks to the fact that I'm not as young as I used to be. Not to mention the fact that I have a three year old that I usually have to haul with me. But when I found out when Delilah Dawson's book launch party, I wanted to go to it.

I had first met Delilah years ago on the BPAL.org forums. These forums are for fans of Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab, but it has grown to be such a great community over the years. I followed her blog and watched her on her journey to become a published author. She is an inspiration to me as I hope someday to follow in her footsteps.

Thanks to being a writer for GeekMom, I was able to get an ARC of her book, Wicked As They Come, so I could review it. It was a really wonderful book. But I was a little anxious about driving 3 1/2 hours to GA to attend the book launch party.

I was encouraged by some lovely people on the BPAL forums to go. So I arranged to take a half day at my new job and managed to avoid jury duty again, so I could go. One of the reasons I was able to go was that my aunt and uncle live in GA and fairly near to where the book launch was going to take place. So, I had a sitter for Emily so I could truly enjoy myself.

The traffic was bad but I managed to make it to my aunt and uncle's house with enough time for me to get dressed in my Ren Fair / Steampunk outfit before heading out to the party. The worst part of the evening was arriving and having to circle around to find parking. It took me nearly a half hour to find a place to park!

But I didn't miss anything! I got in and Delilah was signing books. I got in line and finally got to meet her in person. That was really shiny! But it was as I was finding a place to sit down that another BPALer noticed me!

It was Brooke, who is the owner of Villainess which is the company that makes my favorite soaps of all time. She had made soaps and perfume oils based on three characters from Wicked As They Come and had made the drive with a friend from TN.

It was a lovely party with yummy cake, a reading from the book, a fire dancer and wine! It was nice to be able to do something without Emily too since I don't get a lot of just adult time. Even though I was pretty much dead from tired for the rest of the weekend, it was well worth the drive down.


If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment