Monday, September 26, 2011

Pottermore - My First Thoughts


I got my Pottermore email a few days ago and I was so excited to finally get in because I was feeling like I was really a Squib who wasn't going to see all the extra goodies teased by J.K. Rowling in her video first describing Pottermore.

I excitedly skimmed through the first chapters as I got used to interface. But I wanted to get to the point where I was sorted. There was a short quiz, first one to get my wand and then a slightly longer one to get sorted.

I got sorted into Slytherin which was a bit of a surprise to me, but pleased me all the same. From there, I'd been continuing to explore Pottermore, which has some flaws.

Potion making it hard and fiddly, especially since you are working against a clock even with the practice potion. But spells are even harder - I followed the directions as given but I couldn't do the Alohomora spell to get into the forbidden corridor which was annoying. I even went to the Spells area and did the practice spell, and my spell only ever had a 25% effectiveness. 

I think these can be serious problems since if I, as an adult, are having problems, how are kids (Pottermore's supposed demographic) going to be able to do these things. Add on to the fact that the site was down almost all yesterday, I don't think they are ready to exit the beta but looks like they are gearing up to open the flood gates on October 1.

There is good stuff about Pottermore. I am enjoying the extra content especially Professor McGonagall's backstory. But a lot of that good content is few and far between. I'm going to continue to play with Pottermore and hope they make some changes because right now the site has some fatal flaws.

If you like my blog, please rate it at Top Mommy Blogs!

1 comment:

  1. I finally figured out spells, but it took looks at cheater sites to do it. The Pottermore directions were terrible -- the ones I found on yahoo questions or someplace like that were much more clear. I hate the way they work though. It's everything I hate about gaming (all hand-eye coordination and no actual thought).

    ReplyDelete