Sunday, December 5, 2010

Breaking Gender Stereotypes

When I was shopping for Emily's 2nd birthday gifts, I really wanted to get her a baby doll, because she didn't have one.

I saw the tool truck that is pictured, and I thought she would really like that too, because she really likes driving cars on the floor.

So she got a baby doll and the tool truck. She really liked both right out of the wrapping paper, but now, a month and a half after her birthday, she plays with the tool truck most of all.

Now I'm sure there would be people out there that would think this is a 'boy' toy that I shouldn't have gotten for my little girl. Though I do think that number is probably decreasing.

I hate the girl / boy toy thing. This stems back from my college years when I worked at McDonald's. I really disliked that we had two different toys, and that I had to ask which parents would want. When I was a kid, there was just one toy, and we liked it!

Now that I have a little girl, I want to encourage her to be herself. She loves trucks and playing tools, but she also loves to play kitchen and with toy food. I don't think there is a problem with liking either!

1 comment:

  1. well done :) I will share this great example on twitter and fb.

    ReplyDelete